I had earlier referred to one Professor B.M.Hegde, who writes pseudo-scientific articles to the Open Page of the Hindu. He has written another article and again he confirms he has little knowledge about what he is writing.
This time he invokes quantum mechanics to tell us that all of modern medicine is wrong. It is funny how everybody wants to prove modern medicine is wrong. I think responding in detail to the whole article is a waste of time (I already did that once. So I will just list the absurdities of the article, giving a brief comment on it). But this article is interesting on how it invokes quantum mechanics to tell us that we can cure everything with electromagnetic radiation.
Physicists have failed to inform the lay public of the purely mental nature of the universe (man included) and biologists and physicians are yet to understand quantum physics. There is a nice simple book by a Nobel Laureate biologist; Albert-Szent Gyorgyi, Introduction to Submolecular Biology. Today bio-chemistry provides the mechanistic foundation for biomedicine. That branch of science is so out dated that our researchers have no understanding of the molecular mechanisms that truly provide for life. The very word animate comes from the proteins in the genetic chain. They twist and bend like a snake to give us mobility at the molecular level right up to our movements! In truth, quantum properties of matter can influence the biochemical reactions as shown above. It is the invisible forces of electromagnetic energy that keep us alive and all those frequencies like cellphones, microwave ovens, radio frequencies and even the scalar energy affect our DNA, RNA and protein synthesis. Similarly the right frequencies of electromagnetic energy could be used for healing any cell in any organ under any circumstance. We are using such frequencies to treat killer diseases like heart attacks, brain attacks and any other damage in the cells of any organ. An added advantage is that energy signals travel at a phenomenal speed of 1, 86,000 miles per second, while chemical transmission is just one centimetre per second!! While drugs take months to get one back on one’s feet after a major illness, energy healing takes only hours to days!
The above paragraph (emphasis mine) tells us how quantum mechanics is abused by people who don’t know what it is. I don’t understand it much, but I think I can spot its misuse when I see it. Here is an interview of Lawrence Krauss, a physicist, about quantum quackery. He has this to say on quantum effects on a large scale.
We are connected to the world by many things: by light and sound and heat. We do, at subatomic scale, behave quantum mechanically. But we behave like classical objects for a reason: We’re big, we have lots of particles, they interact. All the weirdness of quantum mechanics gets washed out on the scale that we can experience. That’s why we experience a classical world.
Also, looking at Prof.Hegde’s paragraph above, there is no logical pathway from his saying that quantum effects have influence, to saying that electromagnetic waves can cure diseases. No doubt, there is radiation given to the patient in Cancer, but that does not cure her. If what he says is true, why does he not go ahead and discover a cure for AIDS or cancer?
But there are many unsupported and wrong claims in his article:
1. Atoms are made out of invisible energy; not tangible matter. Quantum physics speaks a strange language of “now you see it, now you don’t.” Each atom or molecule has its own unique energy signature. Everything in this world, including you and me, radiates our unique energy signature.
How doe he know every atom has a unique energy structure. Can he cite some paper establishing this? Even so, it is also probable that every human being has a unique body odour. So what?
2. Further studies have shown that any drug we give helps only because of the faith the patient has got in the doctor (placebo) and the drug has only side-effects! This earth-shaking discovery was made recently in a multi-centric study in the four leading universities. (Science Translational Medicine March 2011).
Every medicine is tested even for placebo effects. So I don’t see how this is possible. Moreover the statement is just stupid because it talks about any medicine, as if they have tested all the medicines known to us. Garbage.
3. Biological systems like man are redundant. This redundancy makes the same signal to be used in multiple places in the body to achieve many things economically with varied behavioural functions. This was the fallacy of our old reductionist model where we thought one defect one effect and one drug molecule to rectify it. That is why nature has just given us 25,000 genes. One gene could look after so many functions. In addition, we have trillions of genes acquired from a multitude of germs that have become a part of us over millions of years and they live a symbiotic existence, the so called human meta-genome. When we disturb the germs inside us, we fall sick! This shows how foolish our expensive search for genetic modelling and genetic engineering, including stem cell research is.
This time, he wants to completely stop genetic therapy research, including stem cell research. If so, then how does he explain this list of genetic disorders.
4. Physicists have failed to inform the lay public of the purely mental nature of the universe (man included) and biologists and physicians are yet to understand quantum physics.
“Mental nature of the universe”?? What *!#%?? Just because matter and energy are interchangeable does not mean, matter suddenly becomes mental. They both are firmly physical phenomena. I agree with the second part thought, but he should begin with educating himself on quantum mechanics.
Then on, he goes completely off rails.
5. Living organisms must receive and interpret environmental signals in order to survive. The signals reach the single cells through their antenna in the cell wall. So our connection with the outside world is through the cell wall, our true brain. The environmental signals are our true saviours, God if you like (Bruce Lipton). When this signal dies, organism dies only to enter another shell to be reborn!
There you go. Reincarnation proven in less than 100 words. Somebody nominate him for a Nobel, please.
6. Eastern wisdoms like Ayurveda, Tibetan medicine, Chinese medicine and many other systems adopted quantum physics eons ago and their ideas of energy channels in the human body are now proving to be highly scientific. We condemned the whole lot of them as unscientific mainly because of the pressures from the drug and instrument lobbies.
Oh yes, did you all get that? All the traditional medicines knew of quantum mechanics all along. I am sure they know the origin of dark matter and dark energy too, but are just kept as well-guarded secrets, to ensure that the scientists are kept employed. Moreover, the evil drug companies prevented people from understanding the true science behind Ayurveda, Tibetan Medicine and Chinese Medicine. I am surprised he left out Homeopathy.
7. Instead of understanding human physiology properly, modern medicine created the monsters of “killer diseases” which are nothing but deviations in physiology and behaviour from some hypothetical norm as unique disorders and dysfunctions. The gullible public thinks that they are all killer diseases, thanks to the 24X7-hour advertisements. Let us understand the human being and try and set the deranged cell frequencies with suitable alternatives to get man back on his feet.
If you look at his picture here, you will see that he wears glasses. I wonder why he could not restore his normal eye sight using frequencies.
The point he tries to make is simple. He is the only smart one. The rest of us are gullible idiots. It has all got to do with the frequencies. Everything else is useless. The next time, you see someone making all sorts of weird dance movements, don’t be surprised. It could probably be just Professor Hegde, who is moving his body to generate the exact vibration needed to cure his flu.